Can I immigrate to Canada as an Optometrist?
This is to inform optometrists who dream to migrate and work in Canada that this has been made possible by the
recent Canadian government.
Optometrists are becoming highly demanded in Canada today, which has also placed them in a great opportunity
of having their permanent residency Visa either with or without a job offer.
Migrate to Canada as an Optometrist
You may have read before that having a job offer is a requirement for express entry to relocate to Canada but
here we present you with an alternate means.
Beginner Optometrists are slo eligible to apply for this Canada immigration under the government immigration program which places high demand for the optometric profession.This is great news for Optometrists in the world over hoping to live and work in Canada.
All optometrist in the world who have the necessary skills, experience and qualification are eligible to take up this opportunity.
Coming to Canada you are appointed to work under the law as :
- doctor of optometry (OD)
Skills and Tasks to Immigrate to Canada as an Optometrist.
Optometrists coming to Canada will be able to demonstrate knowledge or experience of the following areas:
Optometrists perform some or all of the following duties:
- Examine patients’ eyes, conduct tests and use ophthalmoscopes, bio microscopes and other specialized instruments to
- determine ocular health and visual efficiency
- Prescribe and provide treatment (excluding surgery) to maintain, improve and correct vision and manage other ocular diseases and disorders
- Prescribe, dispense and fit eyeglasses, contact lenses and other visual aids
- Educate, counsel and advise patients on contact lens use and care, ocular hygiene, surgical and non-surgical options, and preventive care and maintenance related to occupation and lifestyle
- Refer patients to ophthalmologists or other physicians and surgeons for treatment of ocular diseases or conditions such as cataracts, glaucoma and macular degeneration and systemic conditions such as diabetes and high blood pressure
- May prescribe from a limited list of medications.
- Optometrists may specialize in fitting visual aids for people who are partially blind, fitting contact lenses or correcting special vision problems.
However the above is regarded as a general guide to grade our free online visa assessment
You may add further information and be sure to list out your skills and qualifications in detail.
Emigrate Canada has a dedicated desk for the Health Industry that only represents workers in the Health sector
who wish to immigrate to Canada. The Emigrate Canada consulate understands your professional demands and
can communicate you in your language when it comes to explaining your immigration pathway and the means of
securing a Canada Visa for you (even for your family).
Qualifications required to Immigrate to Canada as an Optometrist
- Three years of university undergraduate studies in sciences and a four- to five-year university program in optometry are required.
- Licensing by the provincial or territorial regulatory governing body is required.
Stages and requirements to migrate to Canada as an Optometrist
The first stage in your Canadian immigration process is to calculate your Canada Immigration points for Express
Entry using the Canadian Comprehensive Ranking System.
- CRS Points are awarded for (amongst other things)
- English ability
- French ability
- Your partner’s skills
- Work experience
Your overall Immigration Points score must equal or exceed a total of 67
Take a tour and try out our free online visa assessment for an up-to-date report to if you have enough points
to qualify for the Canada immigration as an Optometrist from the Express Entry and Immigration points
You have upto 60 days to lodge a formal application once you have received an invitation to apply (ITA) from
Canada Immigration as a result of your Express Entry application. It’s important to know that in no situation
should you first lodge an Express Entry application ‘claiming’ to possess certain points without first having them
verified through different testing, education equivalence certificates and skilled worker assessment.
This is very important because once you have been invited to apply for your Canada Visa, you won’t be given the
chance to go back and verify them, hence they must be verified before you claim any points for them. Also know
that your Express Entry profile is only valid for one year , it will benefit you to present the best scores from the
Before you lodge your express entry we will help you through the process of having your qualifications and
certificates verified as required by immigration.
Without a job offer, can I still immigrate to Canada?
The answer is a resounding yes, providing you have a reasonable total CRS score on your Express Entry
application and can meet the 67 immigration point threshold for your Canada Federal Skilled Worker Visa.
Technically there is no minimum CRS score required to submit an Optometrist Canada Express Entry profile.
Of course, securing a job offer (documented in the right way for immigration purposes i.e. LMT) will give you an
instant CRS boost of 200 points so it makes sense to start this process of looking for and securing a job offer as
soon as possible.
Optometrist Jobs in Canada
Being a new permanent resident of Canada, qualified and highly skilled, you may have the opportunity to work full
time from day one. Optometrists in Canada are better compared to those in the UK , Europe and Asia. Moreso, the
Canadian employment law has made the work-life balance comfortable for Optometrists. The industry body for
Optometrists is the Canadian Association of Optometrists
For more enquiries:
Title: Immigrate to Canada as an Optometrist
Optometrist : Monty @ Emigrate Canada, Canadian Immigration Expert